White Rock Pre-school provide a staffing ratio in line with the Safeguarding and Welfare Requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage to ensure that children have sufficient individual attention and to guarantee care and education of a high quality. Our staff are appropriately qualified, and we carry out checks for enhanced criminal records and barred list checks through the Disclosure and Barring Service in accordance with statutory requirements.
To meet this aim we use the following minimum ratios of adult to children:
- Children aged two years: 1 adult : 4 children:
- Children aged three years and over: 1 adult : 8 children:
- All of our staff hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification.
- We only include those employed by us or long term students aged 17 years or older within our ratios. Where they are competent and responsible.
- Our manager deploys our staff, students and volunteers to give adequate supervision of indoor and outdoor areas, ensuring that children are always within sight and hearing of staff.
- Our staff, students and volunteers inform their colleagues if they must leave their area and tell colleagues where they are going.
- Our staff, students and volunteers always focus their attention on children and do not spend time in social conversation with colleagues while they are working with children.
- We assign each child a key person to help the child become familiar with the setting from the outset and to ensure that each child has a named member of staff with whom to form a relationship.
- The key person plans with parents for the child's well-being and development in the setting. The key person meets regularly with the family for discussion and consultation on their child's progress and offers support in guiding their development at home.
- We hold regular staff meetings to undertake curriculum planning and to discuss children's progress, their achievements and any difficulties that may arise from time to time.